Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR) to Community Based Inclusive Development (CBID) in Tahanang Walang Hagdanan, Inc. (TWHI)
By Maria Belen V. Untal
CBR is one of the Programs under social services of (TWHI). It is now called CBID to specify that Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) are also a part of societal development. It has been running in TWHI for 30 years now in different areas of Rizal.
CBID helps PWDs to link and network with several agencies from the Local Government Units (LGU’s) up to the municipal level. It sets activities to improve the skills, functionality and capacity of PWDs to perform different tasks, roles and plans on their respected groups or organizations. CBID activities such as seminars and trainings help PWDs in the communities to be equipped with different skills and capabilities.
Synchronicity of learning’s and participation of newly established Federation of PWDs in lobbying and inclusive good governance in the municipality of San Mateo resulted in the approval of the following ordinances:
(a.) Ordinance No. 029-S-2017– provides equal employment to all PWDs
(b.) Ordinance No. 015-s-2017– provides financial assistance to children with disabilities
(c.) Special discount of PWDs on police clearances
Established programs in San Mateo through TWHI’s CBID are the following:
- Sustainable Livelihood Program (SLP)
- Provincial Federation Officer and Barangay Development Council (BDC)
- Persons with Disability Affairs Office (PDAO)
Several groups progressed in different livelihood programs such as:
- Rag, candle and paper bag making
- Micro-enterprise (commodities)
- Vegetable gardening and sewing
The Department of Education (DepEd) Region IV-A implements the 5-year transition program on Inclusion and mainstreaming of “Learners with Special Educational Needs” (LSEN). The pilot area of this program is in Rizal.
Other activities of CBID are the following:
- Assisi continuously supports the CBID program of TWHI through educational assistance and they would like to include Indigenous People (IP) focusing on “Dumagat Tribe” as beneficiaries. The CBID of TWHI were given the task to facilitate the gathering and profiling of data’s.
- Health referrals are continuously done.
- Customized wheelchairs were awarded to deserving PWDs through the assistance of Asian Development Bank (ADB).
Note: Belen is the CBID Supervisor under Administrative Office.